Saturday, May 3, 2008

Finding feeds

For this exercise I had a look at Feedster, Topix.net, Syndic8.com and Technorati.

I really like Topix.net as it displays news (topics) from the users home city first. Had no luck with Feedster as it would not display but I got taken to a page for joeant.com, which in itself was a good place to find feeds.

I also found Topix.net quite easy to use. Managed to find a feed for the Hawthorn Football Club, which I will add to Bloglines so that I get the latest news from my favourite AFL club. (Aren't they doing well this year.)

Using Bloglines search I found a feed for a newspaper in Emporia, Kansas, USA and to a weather station. My brother lives there and I thought it would be good to have a feed from this paper as I would then know what was happening over there, especially the weather in tornado season.

I have found when I am looking at websites that I find interesting now, I always look to see they provide RSS feeds. I currently have 21 feeds on Bloglines.

I can see how useful this application would be for libraries, especially being able to share with other people, as libraries would be able to look at what RSS feeds other libraries are using and maybe add them to their own list if they want.

What an exciting way to spend the morning of my birthday. Happy birthday to me!!!

No comments: