Saturday, May 24, 2008

Wikis

I have had an interesting time looking at Wikis for thing #16.

Libraries are certainly using them in lots of useful ways. Uses for them are “only limited by your imagination”, to quote one site. The possibilities are endless for what libraries can use wikis for. The only drawback would be that because anyone can edit them then wikis can be open to vandalism.

Some of the ideas that I found for wikis that appeal to me are:
posting agendas prior to meetings so some discussion can occur beforehand,
using wikis on staff intranets, and posting book reviews.

The Library Success: A best practices wiki is a great site. Getting libraries to share ideas or anything that could be useful to other libraries is a great initiative. A lot of useful categories to look at here. I explored a lot of interesting links from this site.

Overall, I like the ideas of wikis and I think they can be very useful to libraries.

No comments: